According to the vision statement, Olbrich Botanical Gardens will be a locally treasured and globally renowned source of beauty and education celebrating the importance of plants in a sustainable world.
Olbrich Botanical Gardens is owned and operated by the City of Madison Parks Division in partnership with the non-profit Olbrich Botanical Society. In 1921, Michael B. Olbrich purchased the first parcel of land along Lake Monona. This land would eventually become Olbrich Park. Then, in 1952 the first structures were constructed in what is now Olbrich's Sunken Garden. Today, Olbrich Botanical Gardens features 16 acres of outdoor display gardens and the tropical Bolz Conservatory. The Gardens have won numerous awards thanks to dedicated staff and hundreds of volunteers.