Special Events Internship
Apply by: May 30, 2015
Duration: June 4, 19-20 / July 1, 2, 7-11, 13-31 / August 1-9, 27-28 / September 2-4 (evenings)
Hours: Average 35 hrs/week, Wednesday-Sunday, 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. (hours vary)
Position does not offer health insurance, investment options, or paid personal time.
Number available: 1
Olbrich Botanical Gardens is home to 16 acres of outdoor display gardens and a 10,000 square foot tropical conservatory. The outdoor gardens include 10 unique specialty gardens and received the 2005 National Award for Garden Excellence. Indoors, the tropical Bolz Conservatory exhibits an extraordinary collection of exotic plants and orchids complemented by colorful birds and koi. Olbrich is committed to a culture of sustainability and education so that everyone - including future generations - can experience and learn about the fascinating world of plants and gardens.
Rhapsody in Bloom is an outdoor garden gala. Over 500 guests attend this fundraising event, which plays a key role in the Olbrich Botanical Society's effort to raise over $1 million each year to help operate the Gardens. This year guests will be transported to the enchanted world of Alice in Wonderland in "Rhapsody in Bloom, Through the Looking Glass."
Olbrich's Home Garden Tour is a two-day event that showcases private home gardens in the Madison area. This fundraiser consistently draws 800 to 1,000 people. The event speaks to Olbrich's educational mission to inspire and teach homeowners a variety of gardening practices.
Olbrich's Blooming Butterflies is based on mission-related educational principles, excellent execution, a fascinating topic, healthy net proceeds, and outstanding community support. Average annual attendance for this 26-day event is 25,000. Visitors include families of all ages, day cares, summer camps, bus tours, and school, senior, and church groups. Blooming Butterflies is a major fundraiser for the Gardens.
The Special Events Intern will assist with the planning, execution and post event evaluations for Rhapsody in Bloom, Olbrich's Home Garden Tour and Blooming Butterflies under the supervisor of the Special Events Manager and Assistant.
Rhapsody in Bloom
June 19 & 20
- Assist with event preparation, set up, execution, volunteer management and dismantle.
Home Garden Tour
July 10 & 11
Volunteer Training: Tuesday, July 7, 5-7 p.m.
- Assist in event preparation, set-up, execution, and dismantle.
- Attend volunteer training at home garden sites and related event meetings.
July 15 - August 9
Volunteer Training: Monday, July 13, 5-7:30 p.m.
- Assist in event preparation, set up, daily execution and dismantle.
- Attend volunteer training.
- Assist with the production of and maintenance of Blooming Butterflies support materials.
- Daily event management of Blooming Butterflies, including supervision of volunteers and seasonal employees.
- Collaborate with the Conservatory and Education staff and interns in the management of the event.
- Registered group management; confirmations and onsite processing.
- Working closely with Olbrich staff and volunteers to provide a high level of customer service/satisfaction.
- Fill open shifts as needed and providing breaks to volunteers and seasonal employees.
- Ability to bend, stoop, kneel, walk on uneven terrain, and work with arms stretched out overhead.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds.
- Ability to commit to the work schedule outlined.
- Ability to display a confident, fair, energetic and positive attitude while working with visitors (primarily children and families), volunteers, and staff.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to take initiative in making time sensitive decisions.
- Ability to supervise volunteers and seasonal employees.
- Ability to be flexible to changing circumstances.
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Experience supervising clerical positions and volunteers.
- Experience managing large groups of children and adults.
- Excellent organizational skills and keen attention to detail.
- Comfort and experience with handling cash and credit card transactions.
- Command of Microsoft Word and Excel. Experience with InDesign a plus.
- Comfort seeking assistance from superiors when needed, and accepting constructive feedback on a frequent basis.
- Ability to prioritize work load while juggling multiple tasks.
- Ability to work as a team player and effectively collaborate with coworkers.
Application Form (PDF)
Application Form (Word Document)
Submit your application to Missy Jeanne, Special Events Manager
Olbrich Botanical Gardens
Attn: Missy Jeanne
3330 Atwood, Ave., Madison, WI 53704
*If you do not already have the free Adobe
Acrobat Reader software, you can download it by clicking on the icon.