Development and Membership Specialist
Reports to: Director of Development & Marketing
Supervises: Development Assistant
Apply by: Application period open until position is filled
Duration & Hours: Permanent, full-time salaried position (some weekends & evenings required)
Compensation: Salary dependent on qualifications
Contact: Ann Heiden, Director of Development & Marketing
Telephone: (608) 246-4583
FAX: (608) 246-4719
PURPOSE: To generate financial support for Olbrich Botanical Gardens by managing donor/member records, by coordinating the membership program, by coordinating in-garden recognition and memorial programs, and by assisting with other fund raising activities. To oversee the member database, serving as the administrator and maintaining consistent coding procedures.
Membership: Develop and implement strategies to attract, renew and upgrade members including, but not limited to, incentive programs. Staff the Membership Committee and support the Membership Chair. Manage day-to-day membership program operations. Recruit members on site and at events. Participate in the planning of events involving members. Contribute to and coordinate mailing of newsletters. Coordinate collection and addition of new membership prospects to the database. Develop and implement direct mail campaigns, working with printers and mailers as appropriate. Produce direct mail packages for membership recruitment and renewal. Prepare analytical reports for each campaign. Determine newsletter's annual focus in collaboration with Senior Marketing & Communications Coordinator (SMCC).
Donor/Member Database: Assume lead responsibility for maintaining the database, with support from vendor and City Information Services. Serve as administrator of Raiser's Edge database system. Maintain consistent coding and procedures. Execute daily gift/membership processing, including data entry and acknowledgements. Generate standard and customized reports for review and monthly and year-end reconciliations. Generate recognition listings for newsletter, annual report and other purposes. Support annual audit. Coordinate installation of upgrades and new modules. Oversee back-ups. Provide miscellaneous computer software support.
Recognition Programs: Coordinate the in-garden recognition and memorial programs. Develop and implement promotional strategies for each program, such as print materials and direct mail solicitations. Record and acknowledge gifts in a timely manner. Order and supervise installations as necessary.
Supervision of Development Assistant and Volunteer Management: Oversee daily activities of the Development Assistant. Assign tasks and manage the quality of outcomes. Recruit, train and supervise volunteers to help with office functions and membership recruitment, specifically the Membership Ambassadors. Conduct two training sessions each year and support onsite recruitment during key events. Identify new ways to use volunteers effectively and follow through accordingly. Participate in volunteer recognition.
Development and Fund Raising Responsibilities: Develop support for the membership program with grants, sponsorships and gifts in kind. Collaborate with Development, Marketing, and other garden staff for membership outreach. Participate in Marketing and Special Event meetings. Assist with special events as assigned, including some weekend and evening work.
Annual Goals, Budget, and Work Plan: Develop annual goals, budget and work plan to support overall Development Department goals.
Gardens Support: Olbrich has a small staff. From time to time, each staff member is expected to assist with activities outside the scope of her/his customary responsibilities.
(Must be able to perform or demonstrate these skills)
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills. Ability to build positive relationships with members, donors, volunteers, staff and others.
- Excellent computer skills. Thorough knowledge of Raiser's Edge, and experience with Excel and Access required, preferably involving a database of financial contributors. Proficiency in word processing required, including mail merges. Accuracy in data entry required. Basic desktop publishing skills desirable.
- Act as database administrator - monitor, maintain, responsible for the installation, configuration, upgrade, administration, monitoring, and maintenance of Rasier's Edge database. Includes the development and design of database strategies, system monitoring and improving database performance and capacity, and planning for future expansion requirements.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines. Good attention to detail.
- Commitment to teamwork and quality.
- Able to collaborate with a variety of staff members and personalities.
- Financial aptitude required.
- Experience in a development office preferred.
- Supervision of staff and volunteers.
- Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions (heat, rain, wind, etc.)
- Available to work a flexible schedule including evenings, and weekends to manage membership activities as required.
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Positive customer service philosophy
- High degree of organization
Time Commitment: This is a full-time, salaried position with a flexible schedule to accommodate weekends and evening activities throughout the year.
Compensation: Olbrich Botanical Society offers a competitive compensation package, including retirement plan, health insurance, short and long term disability insurance, and the opportunity to work in an exceptionally beautiful setting in a dynamic and growing city.
Send cover letter, resume, references, and completed application by fax, e-mail, or mail (completed application must be scanned in order to attach to an e-mail). This position is open until filled.
Application Form (PDF)
Application Form (Word Document)
Olbrich Botanical Gardens
3330 Atwood Ave.
Madison, WI 53704
Telephone: (608) 246-4583
FAX: (608) 246-4719
*If you do not already have the free Adobe
Acrobat Reader software, you can download it by clicking on the icon.